Wednesday 18 May 2011

Interpreter Sang Won

Sang Wan was the interpreter for the Shan village reps interview. He's 34 years old, and he perfected his English by living in India for ten years. Apparently, for Shan who can afford higher education, going to India is a common way to study abroad for cheap.

After India he lived in Rangoon, then worked in Bangkok for a year and a half as a Thai-English translator before moving to Loi Tai Leng nearly a year ago. Now he's a member of the Shan army, working in the foreign affairs office and interpreting for foreign visitors.


He's a nice little man with wide-spaced teeth and a brown leather jacket. I first met him on the main road through Loi Tai Leng. It was evening and after a day of driving to camp we were finally there, so I walked out to have a look at the place. Sang Wan passed by and immediately began chatting, introducing himself, asking when we were likely to meet again. He wasn't the first English speaker I'd met in camp, so already I was impressed at the difference between people here and in Loi Kaw Wan.
After the interview finishes he and I walk with one of the soldiers who monitored me, whom happens to be a former member of the Free Burma Rangers and a friend of Sang Wan's from training days.


“If you extend your visa for six or seven months and come back here, you can go to the front lines.”
“I've been asking to go with the SSA for a year. I don't believe you.”
“You want to go?”
“Of course. I can't see anything from just the camps.”
For some reason the three of us began to joke around and do mock kung fu moves on each other.
“But in the jungle, you have to go like this,” said Sang Wan as he put me in a head lock and pretended to break my neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment