Thursday 19 May 2011

Gwan Kham, Loi Tai Leng Orphan

22 years old. Recounts being 11 years old when his village was attacked and he became separated from his family. He now works as a teacher and English-Shan interpreter in Loi Tai Leng. -February 2010

“I was in jungle, I went to look after buffalo, and then I come back to my village I don't see anybody, just only like the burnt house.

Did you try to find them?
No. I was very afraid about this. So I went to the jungle, and suddenly the military, about the SSA, come to the near our village and I saw them. And because they can speak Shan, right? So they ask me 'why you stay here alone?' 'I don't know. Because my family no here.'
I didn't know anything, but I want to go. So they ask me 'do you want to go with us? OK, we have food, we have everything for you,' like this. I got here when I was 12 years old. I stayed in the jungle with the military for five months.

Why didn't they take you here fast?
Because there is very bad weather. They cannot come here, because the Salween is like, flooding.

Is it correct that you were alone for four weeks, and then the SSA came and found you?
Yes.

Do you know if your family's still alive?
I don't know right now. Maybe until now they are, I don't know. Maybe they already go away from our world.

What did you do when you came here?
Go to school.

Had you had much school before?
No. I didn't have money to attend the school until I was 11, when I was in the Shan State.

How did you learn English so well?
I like to learn grammar, and I love to go to another person when I saw foreigner, I would like to talk with them.

Are you still in school?
I'm finished and now I'm working in the school.

What do you teach?
Before, English. And right now history, because I love to teach history.

Do you get paid to teach?
Mm-hm. Two thousand (baht) per month. ($67)

Do you think you'll ever go back to Shan State?
I think so.

Would you like to?
Yes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment